Air Conditioner Checklist
- Check your circuit breakers. Reset the A/C breaker if it has been tripped or you are unsure if it has. The A/C may still run but blow warm air.
- Check thermostat batteries.
- Check fuses.
- Check air filter(s) and replace if needed.
- If system is frozen: place the thermostat’s fan to the “on” position and the cool to “off” to allow the coils to completely thaw. After checking some or all of the potential problems you can try to run the air conditioner again. If it is still freezing or not blowing well, there could be a refrigerant leak, which requires service.
- Check to see nothing is blocking a vent or vents if system freezes.
- Keep outdoor units clean and free from debris.
- Check drains and hoses for clogs.
- Replace any hoses that are beginning to crack or show signs of wear.
When To Call a Professional
- If unit is unresponsive.
- If a blower stops working.
- If a refrigerant leak is detected.
- Compressor problems such as loud vibrating noises or the blower quits running.
- Check/replace the thermostat batteries.
- Check the pilot light of a gas furnace to ensure it is lit.
- Check the Emergency switch(es) to ensure they are in the “on” position. If so, you can try resetting the furnace by turning it off for 2 minutes then flipping it back on.
- Move the thermostat swtich between Heat and Off several times to ensure contactor is working.
- Check the circuit breaker for an electric unit to insure it is functional.
- Check that the filters are not plugged.
If these tips did not resolve your problem, it may be time to give us a call and request service.